Saturday, November 26, 2011

No News...but Thankful...




Ironically, the "Nichols-News"blog hasn't been updated this past year because, no news, has been good news for The Nichols. =) I joke...but this year...I'm thankful. After losing my brother Ricky 2 years ago, and Brandon's mom, just 1 year this August, I am thankful for the nothing that is the busyness of my Monday thru Friday =). I joyfully make lunches this year and sit in carpool line with mostly no burdens weighing at the fore front of my mind...it's honestly a dream come true.

Since it's been so long, I thought I'd post the most recent news...our Thanksgiving trip to California. Brandon was able to switch the conference he was scheduled for in Chicago(January COLD!)...to a conference in San Diego...in hopes that if it were approved, I could see my Grandmother "Lola Marfil" for the first time since I was 16...yep, 18 years ago! The most I remember of her really was when she first came to the United States and lived with us in Hawaii for several months. I was only 8, and the most I remember was my skillfully beating her in cards, EVERYTIME...to the point that I felt bad for her. Of course, it wasn't until I was a mom, that I realized, she was letting me win! hahaha
I also remember that she prayed her rosary every morning and night. It was intriguing to me...all the Hail Marys....she explained to me it was her praying for me because she didn't know what I needed, but God did. From that day on, I ALWAYS knew, Lola Marfil was praying for me...

This was an amazing trip for me because I recognize now how my dad left the Philippines at 22 with the aspirations of making a better life for himself (ultimately ME). I've always known it, but being surrounded by the extended family I never had growing up...made it more tangible, I guess.
After speaking with my cousin and aunts, I understand now that minimum wage today is $10 a day in the Philippines - yeah...kinda stunning to consider...I shudder to realize how much I spend when I step out of the door. I spend more than that on chick-fil-a....(sigh)

I love my Grandmother, Virginia Marfil (Lola = Grandmother). She's 87. =) Thank you for always praying for me =).

First pic, is Lola and my Dad, Rey
Second, are my dad, his surviving sisters, Nanette, Gina, Maria Luisa, brother Homer, myself, my kids, and on the far right, one of my cousins, Chris. With my kids, it's 4 generations...I never thought I'd get to take one of those pictures...I will always treasure these.
Last picture, is my kids holding a picture of my dad and the last picture he took with his entire family when he was 22. I believe 1968, This was him leaving and joining the U.S. Coast Guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment